Seasonal Generation Deployment
Western Power Distribution
WPD Future Networks Team (01332 827446)
Click here to send a question to the contact.
LCN Fund Tier 1
Low Carbon Generation
Future energy scenarios clearly show that peak demand on the distribution network is set to increase. This project will explore a solution to reduce the impact on the existing network from such peaks. It will test the technical aspects associated with controllable demand and automated generation, and development of innovative commercial arrangements for generation availability and operation. The project will deliver new learning on the cost effectiveness of such arrangements. The project will consist of two phases:
Phase 1 will involve the installation of a single point of generation at an 11kV substation site. The key objective of this phase will be to initiate, develop and deploy the engineering interface, commercial arrangement and first stage generation control methodology.
Phase 2 will utilise existing network connected generation along with strategically placed generation connected to an adjacent section of 11kV network, which will be a test within a more complex network environment. This will provide a platform for commercial arrangements and control methodologies to be further developed.
Project objectives are as follows:
- Develop and deploy an automated network generation control system
- Provide network support through the integration of an automated demand triggered generation system
- Develop and deploy an availability and commercial operating arrangement - DNO to DSO
- Provide a commercial arrangement similar to the Short Term Operating Reserve (STOR) arrangements between aggregators and NG, but specifically tailored to reflect the needs of the local grid rather than GB system balancing
- Increase network flexibility and security through the use of robust generation
- Ensure that the engineering model and commercial framework are aligned in order to provide maximum benefit for existing assets and end user customers
- Assess the benefit from capital deferment, by complimenting existing network assets with strategic generation thus maximising asset life.