Solent Achieving Value from Efficiency (SAVE)
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Southern Electric Power Distribution
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
LCN Fund Tier 2
ED - Customer and stakeholder focus
The SAVE project will robustly trial and establish to what extent energy efficiency measures can be considered as a cost effective, predictable and sustainable tool for managing peak demand as an alternative to network reinforcement. The project will target domestic customers only, and the measures to be trialled will include deploying a technology, offering a commercial incentive and taking an innovative approach to engagement.
The project will be based in the Solent and surrounding area in the South of England, which is representative of much of the UK and where the Local Authorities are already creating challenges for the network as a result of implementing a strategy of supporting and encouraging local communities and businesses to develop opportunities and growth.
On completion of the project GB DNOs will have a suite of tools to assess a particular network’s suitability for demand reduction through energy efficiency measures and allow informed investment choices to be made between using customer engagement and energy efficiency measures as opposed to traditional measures and “smart” solutions.
The project will also quantify the broader benefits of an energy efficiency measure to allow the complete value of the solution to be evaluated alongside the more network centric solutions.
The aim will be achieved through the following objectives:
- Create hypotheses of anticipated effect of energy efficiency measures (via commercial, technical and engagement methods)
- Monitor effect of energy efficiency measures on consumption across range of customers
- Analyse effect and attempt to improve in second iteration
- Evaluate cost efficiency of each measure
- Produce customer model revealing customer receptiveness to measures
- Produce network model revealing modelled network impact from measures
- Produce a network investment tool for DNOs
- Produce recommendations for regulatory and incentives model that DNOs may adopt via RIIO.