Low Voltage Network Modelling and Analysis Environment
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
LCN Fund Tier 1
LV & 11kV Networks
The low carbon future will require fundamental change across the entire energy industry and its value chain. The anticipated changes in demand levels and load profiles will trigger challenges on the networks including voltage and thermal constraints. This will cause problems on the High Voltage/Low Voltage (HV/LV) network unless we can introduce solutions which are safe and able to be deployed quickly and sustainably to deliver more capacity on the network.
This Tier 1 project will aim to identify, test, demonstrate and evaluate a low carbon network modelling environment, for a selected small sub-set of HV/LV networks in GB. This project will in addition aim to answer the key questions relating to modelling and analysis:
- What suitable power analysis tools currently exist?
- How can a DNO gain visibility of low carbon technologies being deployed which will affect the LV network?
- Using Distributed Generation (DG) and load profiles, can an integrated geographical information system and network analysis tool identify network reinforcement requirements?
- Will more accurate modelling and analysis of the network provide a sufficient assessment of the impact that DG has on the HV/ LV networks?
- Can this new modelling environment help identify optimum load-related capex requirements
In addition to providing a useful methodology to DNO’s, this project will also provide a foundation for SEPD's New Thames Valley Vision and provide learning to other LCNF Tier 2 submissions.