Multi-Terminal Test Environment (MTTE) for HVDC Systems
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks
Frank Clifton, Project Development Manager
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Competition
SHE Transmission together with National Grid Electricity Transmission Limited (NGET) and Scottish Power Transmission Limited (SPT) is proposing to establish a collaborative facility which will enable the planning, development and testing of high voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission solutions in GB.
This facility is known as the Multi-Terminal Test Environment (MTTE); it will house: a real-time simulator system (which simulates HVDC schemes), IT infrastructure and accommodation for replica HVDC control panels.
The anticipated proliferation of HVDC systems in GB during RIIO-T1 and beyond is largely being driven by the increasing penetration of renewable generation. To date, there is limited experience in GB of the design, construction and operation of HVDC systems.
- Support Transmission Planning of HVDC schemes
- Improve Requirement Specification of HVDC schemes
- Facilitate Multi-Terminal HVDC solutions
- Facilitate Competition and Multi-Vendor HVDC schemes
- De-risk Control interactions between co-located and electrically connected converters, and with other active controlled equipment
- Train Transmission Planning and Operational Engineers
- Undertake Post commissioning scenario planning and operational optimisation.