Accelerating Renewable Connections (ARC)
SP Energy Networks
SP Energy Networks Innovation
Click here to send a question to the contact.
LCN Fund Tier 2
Low Carbon Generation
Accelerating Renewable Connections (ARC) will facilitate the increased penetration of renewable generation gaining access to the distribution network in a timely manner. This will be achieved by:
- Empowering customers to make informed choices relating to their connection requirements
- Apply novel commercial and technical approaches that will create the foundation for future connection options
- Inform the development of business processes required to facilitate a greater level of renewable generation
- Build upon the learning developed from previous and existing Low Carbon Network Funded projects to date via collaboration with other DNO partners.
The ARC solution will demonstrate this by:
- Providing stakeholders with a richer source of information, which will inform developers on the potential for traditional or smart connections
- Facilitating the role communities can play in balancing community generation with local demand
- Addressing the commercial and technical issues associated with exporting Grid Supply Points (GSPs) and providing evidence to inform the debate on investment strategies of smart solutions, as identified by Workstream 3 of the Smart Grid Forum.
The project has strong support from project partners and other stakeholders as well as internal buy-in. ARC will run for four years but is designed to create an enduring process and learning for future connections.
The main aim of the project is to accelerate the process and time to connect for renewable generation projects.
The key objectives of this project are to:
- Improve access to connect generation to the network
- Accelerate the time to connect generation
- Enable connections to be facilitated around constraints
- Create an enduring process and learning that can be rolled out across the UK.