NaREC LV AVC feasibility Study
Chris Goodhand, Innovation Manager (01977 605641)
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
LV & 11kV Networks
A feasibility study into novel on-load tap-changers for distribution transformers.
To assess likely technologies to provide on-load tap-changers for distribution (20kV, 11 kV or 6.6 kV to 400V) transformers, to inform future research work. Issues to be considered include:
- Safety case
- Ease of accommodation within standard buildings
- Ease of retro-fit to existing units
- Energy loss in the unit and on the wider system
- Reduced automatic tapping range (i.e. are there benefits in switching over something other than the ±5% range in 2.5% steps of conventional off-load tap-changers, either using larger steps or fewer of them)
- Installation/maintenance cost
- The potential impact of HD 472 (voltage harmonisation)
- Control philosophies and implementation.