ENA/ENFG Smart Grid Studies
Chris Goodhand, Innovation Manager (01977 605641)
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
LV & 11kV Networks
ENA commissioned Engage Consulting Limited to undertake a
comprehensive analysis of networks requirements for a smart metering
system for electricity and gas, as part of a broader smart grid.
This project was split into 4 Workstreams (WS):
- WS 1 ENA Smart Metering System Requirements
- WS 2 Development of Appropriate Use Cases
- WS 3 Performance Standards & Communication
- WS 4 Privacy & Security Considerations
A study was also carried out by Imperial College London to look at the
benefits of advanced smart metering for demand response-based control
of distribution networks.
Arising from ENFG requirements, the work in this project is delivered by
two parallel workstreams:
- Smart metering and communication requirements by network
operators to facilitate a robust smart grid for the future
- Analysis of the expectation of demand increases due to the
penetration of electric vehicles and heat pumps and impact on
the network and the benefits of a smart grid.