Architecture for Substation Secondary System (AS3) Project
National Grid Electricity System Operator
National Grid TO Innovation Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
To form a new policy for substation light current systems aimed at maintaining
high availability and reliability of the transmission network by balancing the whole
life-cycle risk, performance and cost of assets.
To develop a new architecture for substation secondary systems by introducing
new technologies, targeting a quicker and easier approach for the installation
and replacement of protection and control equipment beyond 2011.
The project has defined the following objectives.
Review of current policy and practice:
- To identity and understand the whole life cycle issues for the existing protection
and control systems
Strategy document for substation secondary systems:
- To develop a road map to show the strategy for the application of protection and
control new technology in the short, medium and long term
- To investigate new technologies
- To collaborate with major suppliers/Alliances to share information
- To standardise Substation primary and secondary system interface
- To benchmark with leading utilities
Trials and Pilot schemes:
- To try the new approach in parallel with existing systems with outputs disabled
- To apply the new approach to some real projects as pilot schemes (Min 2)
- To develop a new policy for the substation secondary system
- To develop associated technical specifications.