Mar 2013
Electricity Transmission
Development of OHL Hot Joint Monitoring Tool
Live
Mar 2013
Unknown
National Grid Electricity System Operator
National Grid TO Innovation Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
None
Gas Distribution Networks
£58,000.00
National Grid currently complete helicopter borne infra red patrols on an annual basis for 70% of the circuits and every two years for the remaining 30%. Part of this inspection is the search for so called “hot joints”.

The current tool for sharing and recording hot joint data has become inadequate and presently results in long delays in rectifying hot joint problems.

Hot joints can potentially cost the system operator (and thus the consumer if passed through) thousands of pounds as well as possibly reducing system security. This is due to the fact that circuits must be downrated if a hot joint is discovered. Downrating of circuits can then result in constraint costs which can be significant.

Development of an innovative modelling and monitoring tool for overhead line hot joints that are discovered and reported by the helicopter unit as part of their annual infrared patrols. The model will act as the central repository for all information relating to hot joints on the network (from identification to rectification) and include the deterioration prediction tool currently issued in TGN 200. Implementation via the National Grid SAM platform will allow access to multiple users at the same time and dramatically ease data sharing.