Remote Access to Substations
National Grid Electricity System Operator
National Grid TO Innovation Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
The solution employs various components to achieve an overall solution. These consist of industrial networking devices, a system user access manager software and client token software. The combination has been specifically developed and customised to meet the requirements for the NERC-CIP regulations. However the system has required specific configuration for National Grid and this part of the work is the scope of the R&D. This is the first deployment of this system in the UK and is reasonably new as a worldwide product. The current state of deployment of this solution has addressed the difficulty in providing a remote access solution but requires completion. Part of the work to complete the deployment is to roll out a new version of the software with further facilities requested by National Grid and to enhance the security features already offered.
The project has the following objectives:
- A scalable technical solution that provides a system, method and proof of concept for remote access to substation information with access management security and resilience against malicious intent
- Business process review and development
- Identification of whole life costs in terms of capital, installation, operational and maintenance costs
- Site access requirements for installation and installation options
- Integration into and facilitation of improvements in post fault investigation process
- Integration into and facilitation of improvements to asset condition and capability.