Leakage Sealant Standards
Wales and West Utilities, Cadent, Northern Gas Networks and SGN
Matthew Davies – Wales & West Utilities (Lead), Dominic Cummings (Technical) & Ollie Machan – (Innovation) SGN, John Watkins – Cadent, Matthew Sherwood – Northern Gas Networks
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
GD - Repair
Gas Distribution Networks
This project will deliver:
- The review of the efficiency and effectiveness of the current test methods as a demonstration of the effectiveness of the sealant solution.
- The research and review of alternative test methodologies to demonstrate the effectiveness of sealant solutions
- Recommendations for the performance requirements for each test method; and
- The development of one new LC suite GIS (referred to throughout as the “Private Standard”) for gas leakage sealants. It will be a performance specification producedas a result of the review, re-categorization and amalgamation of the following sixexisting LC suite of GISs.
The standards being considered as part of this project are as follows:
- GIS/LC8 Part 1 - Specification for methods of repairing leaking ferrous gas mains. Part 1 - External systems (excluding joint and pipe clamps)
- GIS/LC8 Part 3 - Specification for methods of repairing leaking ferrous gas mains. Part 3 - Internal sealing methods
- GIS/LC9 - Specification for methods of repairing joints on screwed pipework
- GIS/LC12 - Specification For External Sealant Injection Systems For Joint Repair On Ferrous Distribution Mains Systems Operating At Pressures Equal To Or Less Than 2 Bar
- GIS/LC14 - Specification for annular gap sealants
- GIS/LC25 - Specification For External Sealant Injection Systems For Joint Repair On Ferrous Distribution Mains Systems Operating At Pressures Equal To Or Less Than 2 Bar Performance Specification
To develop and deliver a new combined standard utilising new or alternative test methodologies to allow for the cost effective assessment and implementation of leakage sealants across all UK gas distribution networks.
Production of a new Leakage Sealant Standard that has been accepted and approved by both GDNs and manufacturers as being technically acceptable, cost effective and practical to implement.