Western Power Distribution
Sam Rossi Ashton
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - New technologies and commercial evolution
Active Network Management, Distributed Generation, Fault Management, Maintenance & Inspection, Meshed Networks, Network Monitoring and Overhead Lines
As the utilisation and requirements of the distribution network increase so too does the need for localised network monitoring. The overhead network has historically been difficult to capture data, due to the construction of the system and the availability of equipment throughout the network to gather data.
This project will trial a device that is capable of self-powering operation to provide real-time voltage, current and power flow information. This information will be used to more accurately assess network operation, such as hidden generation output and directional fault detection to more quickly identify the location of faults.
1. Create policies for equipment installation and location;
2. Carry out assessments of the accuracy and consistency of determining power flow directions within WPD’s distribution network;
3. Provide recommendations on the number and location of devices needed for full visibility of power flow direction;
4. Quantify the savings gained by using the Smart Navigator to detect and communicate auto-recloser operations (rather than using visual inspections of AR equipment);
5. Quantify the savings made to Customers Minutes Lost (CMLs) through the use of OHL directional FPIs;
6. Provide the control room with visibility of overhead line real-time post-fault ratings;
· Greater visibility of the OHL network power flows allows WPD to safeguard its assets and customers’ equipment, avoiding events that could damage equipment and lead to Customer interruptions;
· Improved visibility facilitates the connection of more Low Carbon technologies and allows quicker turnaround times for connection applications and thus more efficient coordination between customers and DNOs;
· Directional fault passage indications reduce the duration of interruptions to customers’ supplies by providing WPD with a more informed location of the fault together with its type;
· Auto-recloser operation detection saves time and effort for field staff visiting site;
· Reduction in duration of interruptions to customers’ supplies following a fault and more informed decisions for Control through the post-fault rating method;
· Better use of the existing overhead line infrastructure and the potential avoidance of building new overhead lines.