Next Generation Wireless Telecoms Analysis
Western Power Distribution
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - New technologies and commercial evolution
Comms & IT
Electricity distribution networks face unprecedented challenges. More and more distributed generation is embedded in their networks, much of it intermittent and at the edges of the networks, with significant increases in loading, driven by electrification of transport and heat as the UK seeks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Re-enforcement of the networks has traditionally been the response but at significant cost and disruption. Alternatively, making the networks more intelligent and responsive can often delay or even avoid such investments, minimising the cost and disruption to customers.
The key to the intelligent energy network of the future is enhanced visibility of the network assets in real time, allied to secure and fast switching to ensure a rapid response to changes in the energy supply dynamic. This will
The Project will be centred on the WPD license areas in order to establish the traffic characteristics and operational communication needs of both planned and anticipated ‘Smart Grid’ deployments. Once the traffic profile and area of service have been established the network modelling will produce a Radio Network Design that will;
- Define the scale of equipment and infrastructure deployment necessary;
- Determine the performance characteristics that can be sustained in a robust and resilient manner;
- Characterise the functionality available to enable ‘Smart Grid’ operations;
- Identify the amount and characteristics of radio spectrum needed;
- Network Design Learning can be leveraged across other use cases and DNO areas;