DEDUCE (Determining Electricity Distribution Usage with Consumer Electronics)
Western Power Distribution, Western Power Distribution South West, Western Power Distribution South Wales, Western Power Distribution East Midlands and Western Power Distribution West Midlands
Matt Watson, Innovation and Low Carbon Networks Engineer
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
Network Monitoring, Comms & IT, Measurement and Condition Monitoring
To meet these aims the following scope of work is proposed:
- Investigate existing low cost sensors that can be used for indirect substation loading monitoring.
- Investigate new disruptive technologies to determine their suitability and accuracy for monitoring
- Use existing low cost measurement devices or packages (such as a smart phone or raspberry pi) to indirectly provide measurement
- Run a university based competition to enable non-traditional solutions to be explored
To main objectives are to develop, characterise and test sensors that could be used for indirect measurement for substation monitoring. The project is expected to develop a whole systems methodology from reading sensor data through inferring loading profiles from this measurement leading delivery of such data to the DNO.
- Development of 6-8 sensors at Loughborough
- Entries from 8 Universities
- 5 University student entries taken forward to prototype
- Characterised performance of those sensors
- Business case for trial based deployment