UK Power Networks, Eastern Power Networks, London Power Networks and South Eastern Power Networks
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - Transition to low carbon future
Carbon Emission Reduction Technologies, Community Schemes, Distributed Generation, Heat Pumps, LV & 11kV Networks, Modelling and Stakeholder Engagement
Currently there are 4 million homes off the gas grid in UK and many of them are clustered in rural areas/villages. Of the 4 million homes, approximately 1.6 million rely on oil as their primary source of energy (and the rest mainly using electricity or Liquefied Petroleum Gas). In order to meet the Net Zero target, the off-gas grid community needs to transition fast. With no existing gas infrastructure and clarity in government policy to phase out carbon intensive heating methods, electrification of heat is deemed the most feasible and cost effective solution to decarbonise such communities. However, these communities need to overcome significant barriers with technology investment and electricity network capacity on their route to Net Zero emissions. Factors such as capital hurdle and disruption to customers need to be addressed and DNOs are required to find cost effective and future-proof network readiness solutions. A least regrets roadmap for transition must be defined.
The objectives of the project are:
- Develop an understanding of the network impact of low carbon heat solutions;
- Develop a clear understanding of the potential value of an LAEP approach in delivering value to both the customer and DNO as compared to an uncoordinated approach;
- Develop a viable and replicable approach to LAEP which will enable the transition to Net Zero carbon for off-gas communities throughout GB;
- An appraisal of the impact of different commercial and technical approaches and their effect on network reinforcement requirements, reliability and cost to consumer; and
- An assessment of any regulatory and policy barriers for deployment which if addressed would deliver significant benefits to customers and network.