UK Power Networks, Eastern Power Networks, London Power Networks and South Eastern Power Networks
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - Transition to low carbon future
LV & 11kV Networks
National Grid’s Future Energy Scenarios show that irrespective the scenario, demand is going to increase by 25% between now and 2038; it is expected that most of the new demand will be connected to low voltage distribution networks. This in turn is likely to cause a larger phase imbalance than currently observed. Domestic load is normally connected to one phase. Once one phase of a transformer or underground cable reaches its maximum rating then LV network reinforcement needs to be considered.
The project will:
· demonstrate that the PSS can become a solution to reduce unbalance between phases and monitor its impact on the LV feeder or distribution transformer.
· demonstrate that the benefits delivered by the PSS of releasing capacity and estimating its longevity are realistic.
· assess the impact of moving demand from one phase to another.
· develop a methodology that will indicate how long the benefits are likely to deliver benefits based on the Future Energy Scenarios demand growth.
· validate the CBA showing the benefits of this alternative solution.