UK Power Networks, Eastern Power Networks, London Power Networks and South Eastern Power Networks
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - New technologies and commercial evolution
The project is focussed on understanding the systems architecture (such as technology, assets, information flows, standards, business functions and commercial arrangements) which is required to facilitate smart EV charging for residential customers in urban, suburban and rural areas. The project will identify a range of potential models for smart EV charging, in order to understand the architecture requirements needed to support each of those models. The project will develop architecture representations specific to each option, including detail at the point of customer connection or interaction with charging infrastructure, and outline the requirements between the substation and the internal systems and processes that a DNO may need.
By determining an architecture that details the full smart charging landscape, this project can build upon the findings of existing projects that have focussed on specific parts of smart charging solutions, such as the link between charging points and substations. This architecture can then be assessed on its ability to support the various smart charging business models that the project identifies.
The objectives of the project are to:
1. Identify the principles for smart EV charging and the range of models which could be used;
2. Establish and work with a Stakeholder Group to identify relevant EV charging models for GB;
3. Define the core systems architecture DNOs will require to support the range of most relevant EV charging models for GB i.e. no regrets investment which can support a range of models;
4. Identify the costs and benefits associated with the additional investments (above the core systems architecture identified) to support each of the relevant smart EV charging options;
5. Develop a roadmap that describes how to deliver the core architecture needed, and evaluate incremental investments required to support specific smart EV charging models; and
6. Define the high-level methodology and use cases of integrating the smart EV charging solution with the business applications such as the ANM, NMS (PowerOn), RTUs etc.