Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution and Southern Electric Power Distribution
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Monitoring, Asset Management, Conductors, Maintenance & Inspection, Fault Management and Condition Monitoring
• Produce a literature review of available products
• Select and acquire product examples for testing based on cost and performance criteria
• Establish common equipment testing and results recording methods
• Evaluate equipment performance in simulated fault scenarios
• Issue equipment to field operatives for evaluation in real fault scenarios
• Acquire data and develop tools for performing a detailed cost benefits analysis
• Document all results, conclusions and recommendations
• Evaluate project outcomes for possible adoption by BAU
The project will be successful upon the achievement of the following results and conclusions after assessing devices as complementary tools:
- A range of thermal imaging devices are successfully evaluated as to their ability to locate or assist in locating underground cable faults and in which conditions;
- Practical comparisons are made between the performance of low cost devices with that of higher specification equipment;
- Substantiated recommendations are made on whether or not there are benefits in equipping field operatives with thermal imaging cameras, and low cost devices in particular.