Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution and Southern Electric Power Distribution
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ED - Network improvements and system operability
Understanding the risks and complexities of new flexible assets are critical to allow network operators to balance costs, network reliability and resilience.
The objective is to:
1. Enable better understanding of the underlying risks that arise from deployment of non-conventional network assets.
2. Develop and configure an existing modelling tool that is able to test different investment strategies and calculate their associated risks
3. Use model results to develop a new framework and communication strategy that highlights the risks associated with deployment of non-conventional network assets.
This project will be a success if:
- Understanding of risks associated with deployment of non-conventional network assets is improved compared with current understanding and these learnings are documented coherently. Where understanding is not improved any further, a clear path to improving understanding is documented, as well as the failures/learnings encountered by this project.
- A model is developed/configured that is able to test different investment scenarios in order to provide risk outputs, which can help inform investment and strategy decisions. Where a model is created to test different scenarios but is unable to provide usable risk outcomes to inform investment decisions then a clear roadmap on how to improve the model to meet this goal must be provided as well as documenting lessons learned/failures.
- A framework/communication strategy is created that utilises the learning from this project to inform DNOs of the different risks associated with non-conventional network assets. Where learnings are inadequate to produce a framework/communication strategy then learnings must be documented with a clear research path necessary to meet this objective.