Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ET - Network improvements and system operability
1. Carry out an initial validation exercise to confirm the accuracy of the passive fault level estimation technique against a known active method. Should this have a positive outcome, the project will continue, with the following further objectives:
2. Implement a programme of passive fault level monitoring across the SHE Transmission system at several locations, which delivers measured fault level values collected through seasonal and other variations.
3. Carry out regular off-line calculations based on the SHE Transmission GB system model to cross check against the monitored values, delivering an improved understanding of the range of actual fault levels and the behavior of the system model, and improved confidence in decisions made on the basis of the model.
The project will be judged to be a success based on the following criteria:
- That sufficient evidence is collected to establish the effectiveness of passive fault level monitoring techniques within the transmission system, to enable a decision to be made on long term BAU adoption
- The comparisons of measured data with off-line analysis supports ongoing industry efforts to validate or improve short-circuit calculation methodologies.
- A specification is developed which can be used for the competitive procurement of further fault level monitoring equipment