Composite Core (ACCC) Inspection
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
The project seeks to develop a prototype to evaluate the condition of the core of ACCC conductor. The following work activities make up the scope of this project:
- Review the current technology available.
- Analyse the jointing process of the conductor to determine stress points.
- Develop a testing protocol and build a prototype.
- Validate the testing against ultimate load tests.
- Investigate the relationship between temperature, elongation and strain that would affect the stress in the carbon-fibre material
- Develop a method to measure the strain of the carbon-fibre of the conductor, before and after the installation process of the conductor.
- Specify the requirements for integration of prototype sensor with a travelling device.
The project objectives are:
• To gain an understanding of the effectiveness of the ACCC composite core inspection tool in evaluating the carbon core.
• To develop a fully working prototype with a design fully tested and evaluated for performance.
• To produce a report with details of defects and inspections done with the prototype on defective samples.
• To produce a report with details of training, data capture requirements, certification and requirements for integrating with a travelling inspection device.
The project will be considered a success if a prototype is built and fully assessed for deployment readiness, or if learning is gained through the project showing unresolvable issues in the process.