New Suite of Transmission Structures
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
The intention of this project is to leverage innovations (for example: ICAs and low-sag conductors) to design a new suite of transmission structures to exploit fully their potential.
The scope of the project will include the following:
- Identify the requirements and standards that govern transmission voltage of 275kV
- Assess new structure design options, including the use of new materials, from a review of what is being built internationally, and other innovations;
- Develop designs for a small number of the structure options that show the most potential
- Finalise a design that should be taken forward for field trials and tests
- Scale model prototypes of the new suite of structures
- Assessment of the safety, health and environmental impact of the new design (with the aim of improving safety, and reducing the environmental impact)
- Review the economics of the new structures (taking into account, foundations, access requirements, construction time and maintenance).
Note: the term ‘Transmission Structure’ has been used to indicate the breadth of scope of the project, i.e. the scope is not limited to considering just classic steel lattice towers, and will consider: poles, guide supported structures etc. as
The objective is to design a suite of new 275kV transmission structures, incorporating a range of innovations, that are smaller, cheaper and quicker to build, and easier to maintain. Safety and environmental impacts are also to be actively considered so that benefits from the new design can be maximized.
Success criteria would be to provide a new developed design of a suite of 275kV transmission structures and produce scaled models of the new design.
At the end of this project, there should be sufficient understanding and confidence to decide whether to deploy the new structure designs as an alternative to the traditional designs. At this point, the decision should be made whether to go for full scale construction