Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
The scope of the project comprises:
- Design and develop the software models of high power DC/DC converter
- Study DC/DC converters, DC hubs and their integration with HVDC systems
- Optimise the design of a DC/DC converter
- Produce conclusions and recommendations on the design of DC/DC converters and their use integrating HVDC systems.
This project is intended to complement our 2013 NIC submission (the MTTE), however neither of the projects are dependent on the other.
The overall objective of the project is to develop a design for a DC/DC converter which could subsequently (as part of a potential separate project) be developed further into a laboratory demonstration.
More specifically the objectives of the project are to:
- Develop an optimal DC/DC converter suitable for high power applications
- Study the integration of DC/DC Converters and DC hubs with HVDC systems
The project will be successful, if it produces robust conclusions on the design of a high power DC/DC converter.
This project aims to provide all Transmission Network Owners (TOs & OFTOs) with new knowledge on the potential high-level design of a DC/DC converter, to facilitate the future development of such technology for the benefit of future Transmission customers:
The project will produce 5 reports:
- MMC Converter Design report
- DC/DC Converter Design report
- DC hub Design report
- DC hub integration study report
- Concluding Report.
These reports will be shared with the other TOs/OFTOs during the project.
The results of the project are also expected to be shared through standard academic routes (e.g. the publication of academic papers).