Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Health and Safety
To use a modified SBB ERS as an LTC in the trial construction and dismantlement of an appropriate range of towers (may include 132kV, 275kV and/or 400kV) to establish if the method can achieve:
· Reduction of construction time and costs
· Reduction of environmental impact by reducing need for temporary access roads
· Mitigation of safety issues of concern in tower construction that uses Derricks
Completion of trials using a modified SBB ERS as an LTC on an appropriate range of towers in SHE Transmission’s licence area, to provide sufficient data for evaluation of the method’s viability. Establishment of the method’s viability to reduce costs, construction time, environmental impact and safety hazards in Derricks.
The project’s outcome has potential to generate new lessons about:
- The method’s viability to reduce construction time and associated costs
- Understanding of the extent to which the method can reduce the need for temporary access roads and the level of potential environmental benefits
- The best practice, procedure or methodology for using the method in the construction of transmission towers
- The range of tower designs to which the method would be applicable
The learning obtained from the project will be disseminated through reports and presentations.