Assessing the Gas Network Decarbonisation Pathway
SGN, Cadent, National Grid Gas Transmission, Northern Gas Networks and Wales and West Utilities
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
GD - Future of gas
There are major challenges across our energy system to deliver the UK’s carbon budgets and 2050 decarbonisation targets, particularly around heat and industrial decarbonisation. These challenges were set out in the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) 2018 Progress Report to Parliament, and will require coordinated action to find affordable, deliverable solutions. BEIS and CCC have suggested that major strategic decisions on heat policy will need to be taken by government in the mid-2020s, and that evidence should be built now to support policymakers in this process.
This project will evaluate the decarbonisation pathway set out by the gas networks, including the level of decarbonized gas delivered, system cost and price control implications, security of supply/system resilience, safety & risk management, economic benefits and emissions savings potential at different stages (including against carbon budgets). It will build on existing knowledge of decarbonised gas generation, transportation to set out and appraise the pathway for gas network decarbonisation and build knowledge and understanding in the following areas
The objectives are:
- Support the development of policy and regulatory change around decarbonisation of gas networks.
- Develop a shared view of the pathways and decision points for changes to the networks, and their operation, to support decarbonised gas among the GB gas network licensees.
- Ensure that innovation and other activity to support decarbonisation is coordinated, and that real options analysis is independently evaluated for policy and decision makers.
- Ensure that policymakers and energy industry stakeholders are engaged in the process to develop pathways and options for decarbonising gas, complementing existing and planned activity.
- Ultimately, to support the decarbonisation of energy networks and the customers they serve.