Universal Temperature Controller using Artificial Intelligence
Keith Ellison, Innovation Project Manager
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
GD - Reliability and maintenance
Maintenance & Inspection
This project aims to assess the potential application of a universal controller based on Artifical Intelligence (AI) to act as an intermediary between a traditional station exit temperature signal and an installed preheat asset.
This project will include:
Teaching the AI controller:
- Select a sample of 3 sites with different operating characteristics.
- Use data mining techniques to identify process bottlenecks, energy saving opportunities and process variability issues.
- Train the AI to assess performance with the minimum number of inputs for maximum potential application (Inlet Pressure, Outlet Pressure, Station Outlet Temperature, Historic Weather).
- Development of a virtual system expert to advise on “optimal operation” to help guide process performance from past operating data.
- Optimise computation for data efficiency.
- Assess reliability and robustness for suitability on critical infrastructure.
- Determine computation requirement (Central Processing Unit (CPU)/ Graphic Processing Unit (GPU).
- Develop physical specifications (considering any restrictions).
- Input / Output specifications and protocols.
- Review SGN specific requirements / Applicable standards.
- Determine power requirements.
- Review connectivity (Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)/ Wi-Fi etc.).
- Determine appropriate security & cyber-security protocols.
- Remote update and control.
- Development of a project implementation roadmap for site integration.