SGN, National Grid Gas Distribution, National Grid Gas Transmission, Northern Gas Networks and Wales and West Utilities
Ryan Smith, Innovation Delivery Manager
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Gas Distribution Networks
The objectives of the project are to:
- Gather information and complete a review of existing scenarios, with work and relevant analysis available to identify key themes;
- Consider the geographic and regional nuances of a future gas network in a 2050 world and set out plausible pathways;
- Consider the benefits of maintaining a whole energy system, which includes gas in a 2050 world from the following perspectives:
- Consumer – domestic and industrial
- Consider the long term domestic, industrial and commercial annual and peak demand and supply heat, cooking and power requirements from published scenarios; and
- Explore the potential evolution of the gas network to achieve reductions in carbon and other emissions;
- Examine alternatives to the existing assumptions on how emissions targets are split between heat, transport and other sectors for the UK so that policy makers can make more informed decisions for the long term future;
- Provide evidence on the appropriate balance and roles for the gas network out to 2050 and its interactions with other energy vectors.
Work with the Network Licensees to provide linkage with existing innovative projects to create a joined-up result.
The success criteria for the project are:
- Production of a document which clearly articulates a fair reflection of gas and gas transportation in the future of the UK energy network.
- Provide a robust basis for discussion with government, regulators and customers about the importance of gas.
- Pictorially represent the distribution of gas and gas networks under the different scenarios in order to facilitate understanding of the potential future development of the energy infrastructure in the UK and the role of gas within that.