SGN and National Grid Gas Distribution
Oliver Machan, Innovation Project Manager
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Gas Distribution Networks
Fully structural CIP liners side and end connections will be developed. Up to four solutions will be developed in total – 2 end fittings with appropriate PN16 flange and 2 side fittings between 2-6” to cover service and bagging-off applications. This will involve considerable collaboration with the supply chain to develop and test these new solutions. A parametric study of shrinkage of fully structural CIP liners will allow robust pressure testing procedures to be developed.
The majority of performance testing will be carried out in WRc’s Engineering Testing Facilities. Field demonstrations will be managed by WRc using where possible the GDN field trial sites where CIP liners were installed within cast iron mains during the Stage 2 CIP project. Time and motion auditing of the complete CIP liner process will be undertaken for fully structural CIP liners. A delivery mechanism will be developed to allow rapid implementation of CIP liners upon completion of this project.
The objective of this work is to develop and commercialise a range of solutions for installation, maintenance and intervention operations for fully structural CIP liner systems. To do this the project will engage the supply chain in bringing forward designs and operating practice. This will ensure that at the end of the project the industry has a robust and complete CIP liner solution that is ready for implementation.
The project would be considered a success if one bonded connection solution is deemed 'fit-for-purpose' for use. Two approved solutions would provide a competitive market.
Specific success criteria are:
- To understand and quantify the shrinkage behavior of fully structural CIP liners and so develop pressure testing procedures.
- To develop audited time and motion schedules for fully structural CIP liner processes.
- To develop a CIP liner delivery mechanism to enable the implementation of this technology upon the completion of the Stage 3 project.
- To demonstrate a range of fully bonded end and service connections for fully structural CIP liners up to 2 barg; and in so doing;
- Provide an option to widen the operating envelope of fully structural liner systems to 7 barg (intermediate) pressure. This option does not fall within the scope of this project but could be progressed separately should there be enough interest in the application.