Gas Distribution Networks
In 2012/13 SGN funded a project through their Innovation Funding Incentive (IFI) mechanism to carry out a technical assessment of self amalgamating tape as a potential repair technique for leaks on screwed joint from network risers and lateral pipework. This report offered SGN with a number of valuable conclusions, but ultimately indicated that self amalgamating tape could provide an appropriate repair solution for gas leaks on threaded risers and laterals.
As a result, a decision has been made to continue to work alongside MACAW Engineering Limited to carry out a project that will introduce the following:
- Demonstrate the suitability of self-amalgamating tape for in-service repair applications
- Refine the application method statement (if required) to overcome any in field issues
- Provide an in-service track record of the longer term performance of repairs
- Define and justify suitable inspection intervals based on field trial performance.
In addition, this project will involve accelerated aging tests to define the repair design life as an interim or permanent repair and also develop a standard to qualify self amalgamating tape repairs to be suitable for use as a permanent repair and also perform qualification tests.
Throughout GD1 there will be greater focus towards riser replacement and this project will seek to develop a solution that allows licensees to maximize their opportunities and eliminate the costs associated with repairing riser and lateral pipework in the future and reducing the disruption to our customers.
The success criteria for this project are to trial and test the method against the traditional methods currently used to compare its performance in terms of:
- Demonstrate onsite suitability as a temporary repair technique
- Provide an in service track record which can be used as justification or otherwise to increase inspection intervals and classify self amalgamating tape as an interim repair
- Demonstrate repair longevity or otherwise
- Capture a case study on the avoidance of replacement in terms of environmental and customer benefits
- Increase in productivity.