Gas Distribution Networks
The objective of this project is to develop an innovative solution for the repair of leaking lead yarn joints within SGN’s cast iron mains population. The project will evaluate the effectiveness of the repair technique and associated inspection method to determine extension to asset life and to understand the potential cost benefit.
The project will be deemed to be successful if the following outcomes are achieved:
- Practical assessment of the Large CISBOT’s performance when repairing large diameters mains using the trenchless technique
- Commercial appraisal of the most suitable operating model
- Assessment of whether repair to Tier 3 Cast Iron Joints under live gas conditions using CISBOT is possible
- The production of a technical, risk and commercial assessment of the operation of CISBOT
- Understanding of the opportunity to reduce excavation requirements in relation to joint repair
- Understanding of the potential reduction in the amount of material sent to landfill
- Understand the potential to prolong the life of the ageing cast iron mains.