Gas Distribution Networks
The scope of this project is to bring to the industry a new and improved piece of equipment that improves and extends the design of the previous gas in ducts detection device designed by Crowcon for the use of pinpointing the source of a gas escape, avoiding the current method of excavating and breaking out sections of the duct to detect the leak source.
The outcomes of these improvements will include:
- Reduction in the number of excavations required to pin point a gas escape, and as a result the amount of excavated material sent to landfill
- Reduce the length of time for interruptions, thus improving the productivity and efficiency across our networks
- Reduced risks to operatives having to excavate around third party plant
- Utilisation of existing maintenance covers to launch the detection equipment.
The key objectives of this project are to design, develop and evaluate a single-line sample system, for safe area use only, enclosed in an ABS enclosure that has carry handles and inbuilt wheels to aid transportation.
To achieve this the key objectives are to:
- Develop, test and review design drawings of the new equipment
- Produce and review at least one ‘gas in line’ sample system
- Train SGN employees in use of the sample system
- Evaluate the performance of the sample system through field trials
- Produce a technical report detailing the outcomes of the project
In order to determine whether this project has been successful or not it will be reviewed at key milestones set throughout the project listed above, this will ensure value for money is received by the customer, with the avoidance of unnecessary expenditure.
Key outcomes of the project will be:
- The development of a piece of equipment which detects the entry point of gas in to ducts remotely
- Field trial data clarifying the effectiveness of the equipment
- A reduction in the time taken to detect the leak source
- Minimisation of the disruption caused to the general public whilst detecting gas in ducts
- Production of a technical report detailing the project outcomes.