Gas Distribution Networks
This project will aim to support the technical development of the buried Orpheus module corrosion mapping system, which will enable Network Licensees to carry out internal long range NDT inspection of Orpheus 10 governor installations without having to excavate or grit blast the pipework.
The scope of works will provide a fundamental basis to work from when progressing through the key stages of this project, comprising of:
- Procurement and Assembly
- Testing and Commissioning
- Reporting and Delivery.
This project is innovative as it has the potential to provide 95% corrosion mapping through the utilization of the newly designed ultrasonic probe.
In order to determine whether this project has been successful or not the project must progress through a number of stage gate milestones. SGN’s project manager will evaluate the design and the mechanism’s performance against the requirements before approving progress to the next stage.
Some of the key expected outcomes, representing successful delivery of the project, will be to assess:
- The potential to develop a unit that will carry out 95% mapping of the Orpheus 10 governor
- Whether the need to excavate for maintenance inspection of Orpheus modules can be eliminated
- The reduction in the amount of excavation required and the amount of material sent to landfill
- Whether the use of grit blasting for inspection purposes can be eliminated.