Unlocking Transmission Transfer Capacity
National Grid Electricity Transmission
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ET - Network improvements and system operability
It is proposed to investigate the use of Energy Storage systems to economically unlock the inherent transmission network capacity. Strategic locating and sizing of storage resources will allow the network operators to load the network to a synthetic N-0 capacity, and when necessary to utilise the strategic storage resources to absorb/inject power post contingencies up until a system re-dispatch is affected.
- Review grid boundaries and select two candidate studies.
- Select optimal sites and sizes of energy storage systems to address the two system boundaries.
- Conduct a techno-economic study of the selected ESS.
- To review current relevant measurement systems in use and future ones under development by National Grid, to determine their potential suitability for controlling an ESS.
- Recommend further work necessary to realise an ESS on the GB Network that would economically unlock the inherent transmission network capacity of the two boundaries selected.