Development of GB electric vehicle charging profiles
National Grid Electricity System Operator
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
ET - Transition to low carbon future
There is currently limited public availability of annual Electric Vehicle (EV) charging profiles in Great Britain that are based on actual charger use. This means that currently available charging profiles do not adequately represent EV charging behavior within Great Britain (GB). This project will look to improve demand forecasting for electric vehicles by developing a series of hourly annual profiles
The objectives for this projects are as follows:
- Contact charge point operators regarding data availability and willingness to supply data with the project
- Collect anonymised charging activity from charge point operators covering a minimum of one full calendar year (same period from each of the networks i.e. 2017-2018)
- start and end date and time of each charging instance
- kWh supplied in each charging instance
- identifying charger size (kW)
- identifying location type (residential, destination, road-size etc.)
- Identifying post code district (i.e. first part of the post code e.g. CV34)
- Analysis of the individual charging data including:
- cleaning of the data sets provided
- erroneous data types, formatting, errors, misalignments etc.
- analysis of the charging data to produce a 8760 hour profile of the charging instances data split by:
hour bar within the year (8760 hours)
charge type (kW)
charger location (Residential, road-side, destination etc.)
proportion of annual charging that occurs at that hour bar (%)
deviation away from the annual average energy (multiplication factor from average).
addition split of the above by postcode district (i.e. first part of the post code) if possible.