Solar PV Monitoring Phase 3
National Grid Electricity System Operator and National Grid Electricity Transmission
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
The Solar PV Monitoring Phase 3 innovation project aims to investigate novel methods for monitoring PV generation on the GB electricity system to support control room operations and decision-making.
The project will run over a period of three years with the following key objectives targeted through delivery of its four work packages:
- Develop and validate a prototype 5-minutely national (GB scale) PV generation forecast
- Develop and validate a prototype 5-minutely regional (GSP scale) PV generation forecast
- Identify relevant and suitable national PV data sources/feeds to use in defining optimum approaches to extract PV capacity estimate directly from such PV feeds.
- Investigate suitable methods to estimate PV capacity directly from a combination of PV_Live, demand outturns and meteorological observations instead of the current method which relies primarily on PV installation registration data. Further refine existing methods of capacity determination.
- Evaluate the resilience of PV data feeds used and the sensitivity of the accuracy of the PV_30-minutely and PV_5-minutely monitoring prototypes to geographic distribution, mix of system sizes and mix of rooftop or ground-mount.
- Devise and test suitable validation methodologies for validating the nationally and regional aggregated PV outturn.