Investigation & Modelling of Fast Frequency Phenomena (“F2P”)
National Grid Electricity System Operator and National Grid Electricity Transmission
Dr Martin Bradley
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
The aim of the F2P project is to accurately observe and consequently predict frequency fluctuations at an operational level across the GB power system. The following objectives are being targeted:
- Gather PMU data for GB power system incidents of interest;
- Develop a visualisation approach for overlaying such gathered data on the GB power system;
- Explore the variation of frequency phenomena with power system location and characteristics;
- Explore and evaluate whether existing power system modelling software can comprehensively explain the observed phenomena. Make recommendations as appropriate for any improvements to National Grid’s data, models or processes.
- Implement a range of models in the OPAL-RT software (RT-LAB 11 + ePHASORSIM), from simple test models up to the full GB system.
- Demonstrate simulation of actual incidents in the OPAL-RT software, validating results at the PMU level.