Hydrogen Storage for Zero Carbon Fleet Transport
Northern Gas Networks and Wales and West Utilities
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
GD - Future of gas, GD - Environment and low carbon and Others
Carbon Emission Reduction Technologies, Electric Vehicles, Energy Storage, Environmental, Modelling and Gas Distribution Networks
Currently, there are no zero-emission vehicles able to fulfil the specific duty cycles associated with the NGN and WWU business operations.
However, NGN, WWU and Cenex have identified hydrogen as a potential zero-emission technology that could meet the demands of their field-based work requirements. Hydrogen is a nascent vehicle technology, with potential to fulfil the high-power requirements of the NGN and WWU fleet operations.
Stage 1: Historical telematics data analysis
• Provision of existing telematics data (e.g. vehicle location and driver performance) for NGN and WWU over a 24-month period, across all network operations.
Stage 2: Vehicle tracking and modelling
• Installation and data capture of a minimum of 24 vehicles (12 at NGN and 12 at WWU) for a minimum of 12 weeks. Provision of vehicle specification data and refuelling and mileage data for all NGN and WWU fleet vehicles over a 12-month period.Adaptation of the Cenex Fleet Advice Tool to simulate utilities vehicles and a theoretical hydrogen powertrain solution
Stage 3: Hydrogen demand feasibility study and vehicle/ HRS specification
• Hydrogen vehicle demonstration ‘mini-tender’ sent out to HRS and hydrogen vehicle suppliers
• HRS specification and proposed locations maps
Stage 4: Plan for vehicle and HRS demonstration trial
• HRS and hydrogen vehicle demonstration project planHydrogen briefing document