Northern Gas Networks
Trevor Lister (mobile: 07773589834)
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
Gas Distribution Networks
The scope of the project is to prove the operability, business case and emission savings (carbon and air-quality) available from operating CNG vans. The information gained in this trial will be used to justify a larger pilot fleet of CNG vehicles and further inform the roll out of CNG vans across the fleet.
The scope of the demonstration includes:
- Swapping a diesel vehicle that is currently being used by a NGN measurement technicians with a CNG vehicle from Leeds City Council
- Hiring a CNG van to replace one of NGN’s operational vans from the emergency and repair team.
- Converting CNG vehicles to NGN livery publicizing the fact that we are using low carbon solutions to our operations.
- Entering into an agreement with Leeds City Council to use their LNG fueling station for the duration of the project.
- Monitoring the performance of the vehicles against a set of parameters, including but not limited to:
- Driver and fleet manager acceptance
- CO2 emissions
- Comparator vehicles
- Availability and breakdowns
- Vehicle range
- Air quality
- Comparing the performance of the CNG vehicles against the performance of similar fleet vehicles (model, age, euro standard) operating over similar drive cycles undertaking similar duties to allow a robust comparison of running costs savings and emissions.
In the UK, CNG vans are currently used in a variety of industries including retail, local authorities and logistics.
The uniqueness of trialing CNG vehicles at NGN is to see how they perform against the operational requirements of a gas distribution network which involve responding to emergency call-outs in sometimes remote areas making the deployment of vehicles unpredictable in both, frequency and range.
The objective of the project is to demonstrate:
- The commercial feasibility of using CNG vehicles within NGN
- The operational feasibility of using CNG vehicles within NGN
- The possibility of converting NGN’s entire fleet to CNG
- The possibility of significantly reducing the organisation’s carbon emissions produced by transport
Success of the trial will be identifying that, through using CNG vans, NGN can improve their environmental performance (CO2, air quality, PM, NOX) without increasing costs, vehicle breakdowns or reducing operability.