National Grid Gas Distribution, Northern Gas Networks, SGN and Wales and West Utilities
NGGD Project Manager – John Madden – Lead network, NGN Project Manager – Steve O’Connor, WWU Project Manager – Ian Dunstan, SGN Project Manager – Oliver Machan, SGN Technical Lead – Stephen Skipp
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Gas Distribution Networks
The purpose of the project is to provide a new methodology for delivering the requirements for Ofgem reporting. The collaborative working across the GDNs will provide a consistent benchmark for reporting a complex solution in a pragmatic way. DNV GL and ICS will be looking to determine pioneering research into failure modes, probability of failure and consequence analysis using both GDN supplied failure, investment data and industrially published data to facilitate the development of the following Event Tree models:
- Offtake / PRS Regulator and Slamshut systems
- Offtake / PRS Filters Systems
- Offtake Odorisation Systems
- Offtake Metering Systems
Ofgem’s ambition is that all asset groups should be modelled at an asset level. A key part of the design phase will be to determine the optimum level of detail required for each Asset Group benefit/cost analysis is based current GDN data holdings and the cost/time needed for implementation.
It is recognised that GDNs may hold data at different levels of detail, but a consistent level of detail required for each Event Tree will be agreed by the SRWG. In principle analysis will be built up from asset-level data, where available, but the detail of reporting and analysis may be at an aggregated or population level.
Throughout the project there will be frequent meetings held by the SRWG and with the external company to update on project progress and keep within key milestones. Each stage will have its own deliverables and targets which the project will measure against the original scope. The project seeks to deliver:
- Demonstrable models for deriving monitised risk for each of the 5 asset groups
- Provide a solution that meets the needs of Ofgem namely
- Assets Groups are modeled at an optimum level
- Will enable risk trading and demonstrate this through multiple investment scenarios
- Integration of the models into the businesses of the GDNs
- Provide final project report detailing:
- How the model have been developed and agreed including data sources and assumptions
- Cost benefit of investment for each asset group through monitised risk analysis
Risk trading approach and the outputs of risk trading principles