Network Innovation Allowance
ET - Network improvements and system operability, ET - Safety and health and environment
Control Systems, Protection and Substations
Protection and Control Maintenance Approaches EPRI Project 37.103: The purpose of this project is to address utility challenges in protection and control.
Multi-year research will address three themes:
- Enabling technologies and engineering for non-intrusive maintenance;
- Development of an industry-wide relay performance repository; and
- Development of configuration management process and tools.
Protection and Control Maintenance Approaches EPRI Project 37.103:
In 2014, proposed research tasks will evaluate configuration management processes, tools and develop applicable templates to assist utilities in the implementation of configuration and setting management. Future year tasks will collect use cases from utilities to generate recommended practices as well as identify the potential gaps for improvement. The ultimate outcome from the configuration management research will help utilities move towards standardized design, and automate processes such as protection setting verification.
SF6 Management EPRI Project 37.108:
Under this project, the following tasks will be conducted in 2014 to support the research:
- Information gathering through laboratory experiments including testing on live-filling strategies
- Evaluation of available and emerging SF6 leak detection technologies
- State-of-the-science understanding through studies and surveys
- Engagement in industry, academic, and regulatory groups to understand the issues
- Knowledge transfer through computer-based training and task forces
Future year tasks will collect use cases from utilities to generate recommended practices as well as identify the potential gaps for improvement.
The outcomes from both projects are shared during the annual EPRI Dissemination Event and by National Grid through the ENA website.