Protection and Control Systems
The project’s success can be measured against the following specific deliverables:
- Representative and validated models of VSC and LCC converters suitable both for system
stability (e.g. first swing stability) and protection performance analysis.
- Establish confident model and studies of GB system with up to 75% NSG, applying NGET’s proposed means of improving frequency stability (optimised synthetic inertia & fast response) and steady state voltage support (in regions with absence of generation in merit)
- Describe key limiting factors of operation with even higher percentage NSG beyond 75%, such as:
- Synchronising torque inadequacy.
- LCC-HVDC converter commutation.
- Protection reinforcement for transmission system.
- Quality of Supply