Visualization of Renewable Energy Models
National Grid Electricity System Operator and National Grid Electricity Transmission
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
This project will work closely with the other research National Grid is conducting aimed at developing new renewable models:
- NIA_NGET0016- UK-wide wind power:Extremes&Variability
- NIA_NGET0028 - Impact of extreme events on power production at the scale of a single wind-farm
- NIA_NGET0039 - A Combined Approach to Wind Profile Prediction
- NIA_NGET0085 - UK Regional Wind: Extreme behaviour and predictability, and
- NIA_NGET0139 - PV Monitoring Phase 1.
This will enable the outputs of this project to utilise the most up to date information on the renewables models.
The project scope includes the following:
- Literature review: build knowledge of policy drivers; economic weighting of carbon emissions; implications of increasing variability and electricity system management.
- Implementation of a variety of interrogation methods including operator natural viewpoint navigation and other input devices
- Development of a range of basic prototypes based on datasets for initial assessment.
- Detailed visualisation development and testing. This stage is anticipated to concentrate on two or three prototypes using complementary display technologies.
- Consideration should be given to incorporation of these visualisation systems more formally into real-time operation.
- Parallel testing with current NG operative practice to determine efficacy of the visualisation approach. Compare the current process with the new process at the non-operational stage.
- On-going visualisation refinement and testing should reflect the full interactions between NG operatives and real-time decisionmaking.
- Utilising the training facilities to test the effectiveness of the new process in making real time decisions.
The objective of the project is to develop visualization approaches that will enable complex data to be readily translated in useful knowledge about renewable generation impacts on system operation in a visually intuitive way.
The success of the project is based on the delivery of a final report which demonstrates the recommended visualisation implementation(s) so that it can be operated by National Grid personnel.