HVDC EngD – Richard Poole
National Grid Electricity Transmission
Richard Poole & Paul Coventry
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
To deliver a successful EngD project, analyising the feasibility of connecting nuclear powers stations to the UK transmission system via HVDC links.
To evaluate the possibility of Connecting a Nuclear Power Station to the UK transmission system via the
- A Current Source Converter HVDC link in combination with an AC Transmission link.
- A Voltage Source Converter HVDC link in combination with an AC transmission Link.
- Two double AC Circuits.
- To produce various strategy papers on whether the HVDC technology is technically feesible for the connection of Nuclear Power Stations or not.
- To produce Technical Guidance Documents for National grid obtained from the analysis.
- To expand HVDC technology Expertise within National Grid for possible future Generation connection scenarios utilising HVDC technology.
- To produce and publish technical papers on the subject matter.
- To introduce and analyse the suitability of PSCAD HVDC power systems analysis software for HVDC system analysis.
Delivering a guidance document for industry use on the the feasibility of connecting nuclear powers stations to the UK transmission system via HVDC links. In addition improving the industries knowledge on HVDC Technology by completing an EngD project, and submitting paper(s) in relevant academic journals.