Investigation of Switchgear Ratings
Electricity North West Limited
Electricity North West Innovation Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
LV & 11kV Networks, Measurement and Fault Level
This project will conduct a series of investigative fault withstand tests to enable the assignment of new short circuit ratings which can be applied to devices based on the network location and protection operating time.
1. Carry out a series of investigative short circuit tests at an independent test station on a range of commonly used distribution switchgear and publish revised fault level ratings where appropriate.
2. Calculate the actual fault level at distribution substations and the level of typical attenuation.
3. Assess the available fault level headroom.
4. Publish a report outlining the details of the investigations and the potential for application of revised ratings.
- Completion of the short circuit tests and reports.
- Table of actual fault levels at distribution substations.
- Table of actual fault level headroom.