Composite repairs for through wall defects on metal pipes
Cadent Innovation Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Network Innovation Allowance
GD - Repair
Gas Distribution Networks
Above ground pipework is exposed to the elements, resulting in possible degradation from corrosion; known as external metal loss. Support structures can concentrate rates of corrosion around the pipe as they often begin to corrode before the pipe. This technology can offer the potential of a permanent repair to pipe and reduce the number of costly replacements. A permanent repair will also offer significant reduction in environmental impact and reduce large scale works, protecting staff from higher risk activities and the public from increased disruption.
1. Develop a standard design method for a composite repair for deployment on the low and medium pressure systems (including thermal and self-weight loads) where the damage has:
• not yet gone through-wall.
• resulted in a leak.
2. Measure bond strength achieved on cast iron, spun iron, ductile iron and steel lines prepared by both bristle blasting and hand tools.
3. Analyse several stop – gap methods and quantify their capability to provide the temporary relief and also their suitability for use with a composite repair.
4. Quantify the energy release rate achieved between composite repairs to iron pipes.
5. Verify the proposed qualification framework is suitable and sufficient for identification and validation of repair approaches for iron lines.