SP Energy Networks
SP Energy Networks Innovation
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
Energy Storage and Demand Response
The aim of this project is to investigate the role of energy storage systems in smart grids.
The need to investigate the role of electrical energy storage has been identified at governmental level. The Parliamentary Renewable and Sustainable Energy Group (PRASEG) inquiry into ‘Renewables and the grid: access and management’ cites storage as a ‘possible solution for addressing variable renewable energy generation’ and highlights the need for ‘Long- term, further research and development’ and ‘clear political and regulatory signals. In the UK Low Carbon Transition Plan (HM Government, 2009) storage is included in the list of key elements of a UK smart grid.
The project objectives are set out below:
- Economic assessment with respect to traditional reinforcement options
- Identification of appropriate locations for energy storage systems
- Consideration of most appropriate sizes and capacities for energy storage systems
- Determine appropriate operating strategies for energy storage systems
- Understand the effects of operating strategies on the ageing of the energy storage systems
- Evaluate the current and future value of operating an energy storage system to generate revenue through energy market arbitrage
- Investigate the regulatory issues surrounding the ownership of energy storage systems by DNOs.