SP Energy Networks
SP Energy Networks Innovation
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
Comms & IT
In general the scoping and development will consider the following major areas:
- Distributed Generation (DG) and demand side management to facilitate the
connection of DG to the network
- Develop a controller that will monitor electricity networks, isolate faults quickly
and allow distributed generation to remain connected and operating
The SP portion of this work is to focus on constraint management techniques for use
on new / existing generation connections, focussing on the 33kV and 132kV networks.
Although relevant to both SP-D and SP-M networks, the principle focus in case studies
will be to overcome existing limitations in SP-M, with a focus on:
- Overcoming complexity of existing hard-wired intertripping schemes
- Determining a solution for managing multiple generation connections in a given
- Developing and implementing a system that can work in harmony with existing
- Assessing communication requirements and technologies for delivering an active
and autonomous system.
This project aims to produce a control structure and set of control algorithms that
realise the notion of an active distribution network and enhance the service a network
operator provides to load and generation customers, improving network performance
(asset use, etc.).