Radiometric Arc Fault Location
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks
SSEN Future Networks Team
Click here to send a question to the contact.
Innovation Funding Incentive
High Voltage Technology
The principle of the technology is:
- There is a correlation between RF discharges and network faults on overhead lines
- The RF signal can be picked up by a radio antenna up to around 70km away
- If antennae are spread across the network, a mesh is formed – in a similar manner to the GSM network
- If a fault can be accurately clocked, triangulation can be used from a number of base
- If this information is linked to GIS / SCADA data a more accurate fault location can be obtained.
Applied research, and follow up installation of a system to triangulate fault locations on overhead lines from the high frequency radio wave signatures produced from an arcing fault.